Sandy Hook School Shootings & the Newtown, CT Real Estate Market The shootings at the Sandy Hook Elementary School happened on December 14, 2012. Like most Newtowners, we were paralyzed by this tragedy and the events of that day. The aftermath of those shootings will be long lasting and far reaching. Newtown and Sandy Hook are both on the world's radar.
As local Realtors, there is one question that has come up for us repeatedly: "How have the Sandy Hook School shootings affected the local Newtown, CT real estate market?" Sellers ask us. Buyers ask us. People that we meet socially ask us. As soon as people we don't know, learn that we are Realtors - Newtown Realtors, they ask us.
The answer to this question surprises most people and to be honest, us at first, too. The Newtown, CT real estate does not seem to be affected by the Sandy Hook School shootings. Here is what we have seen and heard:
- Before the shootings happened, we were working with buyers who were relocating to Newtown. They had an accepted offer on a home in Sandy Hook and were due to sign the formal contract. After some reflection and prayer, they decided to move forward with their purchase.
- Shortly after the shootings, a home we had listed for sale in Sandy Hook went under the deposit. The buyers did not seem concerned about it being located in Sandy Hook.
- We met with folks who are currently renting a home in Sandy Hook about purchasing a home. When we asked them, what town would they like to purchase in, they told us "Sandy Hook". When we inquired about why not other areas, they told us, "It's a nice place to live and we want to stay here".
- One of the families had been renting a home in Sandy Hook - in the exact same neighborhood as the one where the Lanza Family lived. AFter the shootings, that family purchased a home in that same neighborhood.
- Homes are selling in both Newtown and Sandy Hook. Homes are selling in each of the elementary schools locations - including the Sandy Hook Elementary School. Homes are selling in all price ranges.
As this conversation goes on, it is inevitable that we'll be asked "Why do we feel that the real estate market is not being affected?" We believe it's because Newtown has been portrayed very well in the news media. We think that when people come to Newtown, they can feel that we have a true community here and it is a nice place to live.